7 Responses

1. LisaLisa
    LisaLisa May 17, 2011 at 8:28 pm | | Reply

OMGoodness, this article brings tears to my eyes. Parents who have been diagnosed with any sickness can still be Awesome Parents!! I know my beautiful sisters were..they gave their children much love and joy until that time when God called them home. As a retired Hospice Nurse I have seen many Parents give great love and joy to there children durning that time and still was the Best Parents that they could be. Your sickenss don’t and won’t define you if you don’t let it. I think he is a selfish man who cares for no one but himself. Taking those children away from there mother can and will cause more harm then he could ever imagine!

Death is nothing to run from it is something that is happening daily, whether it’s within our families or others. We must learn to embrace the beauty of death. Meaning, thoughts of all the goodtimes, knowing how your love one lived,the legacy they left,the feel and smell of them…I know this first hand for my family lost three memebers to cancer back to back. My heart breaks for those children. Great Post and a much needed one!

2. Kathy Sena - BadBallet.com
    Kathy Sena - BadBallet.com May 17, 2011 at 11:23 pm | | Reply

Excellent post. A friend had breast cancer and I watched her manage it, and the chemo, while also being a mom. It was completely draining for her at times, but also the thing that kept her going at times. Her son was very sick with pneumonia at one point while she was getting chemo, and friends and family came to their aid. At no point in all of this did ANYONE think it was not a good idea for her kids to live with her. They are a family and they got through it together.

3. Denise Saunders
    Denise Saunders May 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm | | Reply

Jen –

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us. My sister died from non-Hodgkins lymphoma when her son was 2 years old. Although that was 22 years ago, I can still remember people trying to keep her son away from her at the time, saying he didn’t need to see her when she was sick and I knew he was the only thing that kept her fighting so hard. Needless to say, she passed on and he has no memories of her being sick or the trips to the hospital. I, however, will never forget the hateful words nor the people who fought so hard to keep her son from her when she all she wanted to do was to hold her little boy.
    I pray that an attorney will step forward and take Ms. Giordano’s case to appeal the ruling. She needs her children with her now more than ever. Her husband left her while she was battling this disease. She is fighting for her life and for her life with her children! Hopefully she will be successful in both fights!

4. Teresa from NanaHood
    Teresa from NanaHood May 18, 2011 at 10:00 pm | | Reply

I so agree! I wrote about this on my blog too!

5. Janice (5 Minutes for Mom)
    Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) May 19, 2011 at 4:17 am | | Reply

I am ENRAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How could this happen?!?!? How could that judge do that!!!
    That is the most insane thing I have ever heard — “the child needs more contact with the non-cancer parent.” GOOD GRIEF!
    The children need to be with both parents — and if the father has to move for his job, that is his problem. Stay where your kids live or else fly back and forth!
    INSANE!

6. Wendy
    Wendy May 31, 2011 at 3:00 pm | | Reply

I am speechless right now. What resonated to me in your writing (other than the horrific story) is your quote “I am not my cancer”. She is their mother. There are many lessons in life that our children need to learn, and if how to die gracefully with love is one of them they need to learn from their parent, then so be it. What am amazing life lesson that will be leave them with.

7. Luani marz
    Luani marz November 8, 2013 at 10:24 am | | Reply

Has anybody hear of dr iroko a man who helped me cure my skin cancer disease immediately i took the medicine he gave to me. This man is a herbal man he use herbal medicine i saw his name online and i decide to contact him and he helped me. I am so grateful i will advice you all that has any cancer sickness to contact this man on herbalbestsolution23@hotmail.com he is the only help you need he is a God sent to everybody