8 Responses

1. Jen
    Jen July 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm | | Reply

My eldest read about it on my blog (accidentally left it open to the ‘announcement’). It was only a day after the dx and I hadn’t planned to say anything til my husband got home from Iraq (he was deployed when I got my dx). We just told our 8 year old I was having surgery and told her to ask more questions if she had any (she didn’t for a long time). The 2 year old saw me in every possible pre and post-surgical light and understood the surgery business but we didn’t bother explaining too much about why.

Perhaps the biggest help was simply keeping things normal. We did not attend any family cancer dinners (recommended by the hospital) or force the kids to join any support groups. Quite honestly, keeping it normal was best for all of us. I am back to my old normal and that has made it so much easier for me. We have gone on with our lives and I can’t say that the kids really ever think about it that much, if at all…which is a very good thing.

2. Casey
    Casey June 9, 2013 at 10:13 pm | | Reply

what if my daughter, who is 11 years old, asks if mom is going to die. How should I respond to that. Thanks in advance for the advice.

3. Joanne Goddard
    Joanne Goddard May 24, 2014 at 6:02 am | | Reply

We have just had the diagnosis that my husband has got pre lukemia and has to go through chemo and bone marrow transplant and will be in hospital for 4 weeks he has been having treatment for red cell aplasia before hand but now need to tell the children 8 and 4 that dad won’t be here for a month my son has mild learning difficulties and loves his routeen and dad putting him to bed every night. Think my little girl will struggle as I won’t be around as will have to split my time between hospital and home and just don’t know how I’m going to work it all to keep everyone happy and meet needs of my hubby and children all advice welcome and thanks in advance Jo x

1. Flora Stewart
      Flora Stewart February 23, 2015 at 6:20 pm | | Reply

Joanne:

Each state has disability services. When it rains, it most certainly pours, this I DO VERY WELL KNOW, but instead of dwelling on it as I have done lately, I want you to reach out to others in the disability world. That way, your children will have resources to deal with their pain and you will get a much needed break and resources so that you can also get help. I embrace all of you in the post, especially the young girls who have fathers. Know that you will always, always, always have his love. I know how this feels, this loss and the heaviness of an upcoming loss, and what my daughter must go through. I am with all of you in, always.

4. Michelle
    Michelle June 29, 2014 at 5:13 pm | | Reply

We are going through a really bad time. I just graduated from nursing school and have not gotten a job yet. My husband has been a stay at home dad the whole time I was in school and the kids are still adjusting to me being home more. Now my husband has cancer in his kidney and pancreas. We just found out so we don’t know yet if its one cancer that has spread or two different cancers. Our son is 3 and has learning disabilities and has NEVER spent a single day away from daddy. Our daughter is 7, will be 8 in three weeks. She is very intelligent and way beyond her years. BUT she also has child onset bipolar disorder. We are really concerned about what this will do to her emotionally. I know this is a lot and complicated but any advice? Thanks in advance.

5. Jessica Craft
    Jessica Craft November 12, 2014 at 9:28 pm | | Reply

Hi, my name is Jessica Craft. On January 13th of 2013, my 40 year old father was diagnosed with stage 4 colon and liver cancer, and its still sooooooo hard to cope with it.. I’m 17 years old. I have a little sister whose 13, and my mom isn’t soo easy to talk too about this. I was wondering if someone could help find a way to cope with this.. Please..!!!!!